View Single Post
Old March 8, 2007, 03:55 PM   #7
gb_in_ga

Quote:
I wonder is labor rates are ever factored into this reloading cost.

Say if you were working instead of reloading, you might be making 10 dollars an hour. if it takes one an hour to make 50 rounds of 9mm then they are losing money because most are 9 bucks / 50.

add in the cost of supplies and they lose even more.
I would be factoring in the price of my time and labor, assuming that I was going to be doing anything useful in lieu of reloading with that time. But -- that's not the case at all. I'd just be sitting there watching the tube, or playing computer games, or doing some other useless, non-paying, time filling activity instead.

It is a hobby that helps feed another, related hobby. Do you factor in the time you spend on YOUR hobbies or other private activities? Do you factor in the time you spend shooting? Or working on your car? Or mowing your lawn? Or doing other chores around the house? No? Why Not?

If, on the other hand, I were to get licensed and start loading ammo for money, then I certainly WOULD be factoring in the cost of my (or my employee's) time and labor. Then it would be a real business where I would be intending to turn a profit and make a living at it. Which is a different thing altogether.

You fail to take into account other factors that would also come to play, here. You fail to take into account the ability to customize your ammo to best fit you and your respective guns. You just can't do that when buying factory ammo -- where you have to take what the factory gives you. By reloading, I can make EXACTLY the ammo that I want. If I want to make a reduced power load, I just make a reduced power load. If I want to try brand X primers, brand Y brass, Brand V powder and brand Z bullets then I'll just do that, no problem. The point is, I can custom fit my ammo to fit my purposes. You can't do that with factory ammo. That fact alone make it so that the relative cost of handloaded vs factory loaded ammo becomes moot. I wouldn't care if it were even more expensive (which it isn't), I'd still load my own.

Page generated in 0.03189 seconds with 8 queries