View Single Post
Old November 21, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
FrontSight

Got two deer on Saturday...kinda funny story

Saturday was opening firearms day in southern NY, happiest day ever, get to spend some time with my pop, one of the few times during the year...

So I hear a noise behind me at 8:15, I had forgotten my tree stand, of all things, so I was on the ground. Anyways, I turn around, and I see a pair of ears about 50 yards away, I raise my shotgun about 6 inches and blow me down if this doe didn't bust me! So here I am, in a REALLY awkward position, off balance, hunched over, holding the gun, and this doe is burning holes through me, trying to figure out what movement she saw.

In the meantime, I see another deer about 5 yards behind her & to my left...and this one's got antlers...a 5 pointer

So my heart rate jumps up even higher, my breathing is even heavier, I notice that the cold is making cumulus clouds out of my breath, the sun is SHINING on me, and the wind had just changed directions about 3 minutes before this and is blowing right to her, so I'm wondering how long before a) my legs and back give out, b) how long before she sees my breathe or c) how long before she smells me...

To my disbelief, after what seems like an eternity with her just absolutely locked in on me, she figures it was nothing and starts going about her business. I take the opportunity to raise my shotgun the rest of the way, and now the buck spots me!

So I'm looking through the scope, he's 47 yards away (I rangefindered it later), and all I can see is his head & neck. But he's nervous as hell, after seeing the doe all nervous for so long & now he saw something, too. I figure now or never, so BOOM!

Recoil kept me from following through, but when I look up, I see nothing. Just as I'm thinking "what the hell??" I see the bushes all shaking in one spot, where he was standing a second ago.

The doe was gone behind a lot of brush, so I couldn't see her, but I sure as hell can hear her SNORT once, then AGAIN, and I mean LOUD...

So I wait a minute or so, and call my dad on the cell to tell him the news. As I'm tallking to him, the doe comes back! So I'm like "ooooh, dad, I'll call ya back, I gotta try to shoot the doe...."

Raise the shotgun, and she busts me AGAIN! Same as the buck, all I have is a head & neck shot, she's obviously nervous, so BOOM!

She drops like a ton of bricks, too, all I see is the brush shaking, talk about deja vue.

I couldn't even control myself to wait an hour, I waited 15 mins to go see. I take 3 steps, and another deer, a monster doe, pops up like Houdini and runs off before I can even raise my gun. I should have waited, I might have seen her too and could have gotten three, but oh well...

Both deer dropped right in their tracks, a perfect neck shot on both, exits both through the ribs on the opposite side.

I was using a Savage 12 ga bolt action Slug Warrior, and Hasting Laser Accurate Slugs. I gotta give those slugs mad props, most accurate slugs I've ever seen, every single one on bullseye at 50 yards when I sighted in a couple of months ago...and again this past Saturday on these two deer.

Aaaah, you gotta love deer season...

Page generated in 0.03760 seconds with 8 queries