View Single Post
Old January 19, 2014, 01:35 PM   #107
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterbob
Actually it doesn't come with the filter. You are allowed to put any filter on it. It's the adapter only that's registered with Atf.
Your friend has been breaking federal law for a while now, then. The BATFE ruled some time ago that each oil filter had to be serialized to the adaptor. And when the filter wears out it has to be sent in and changed by the manufacturer. Most manufacturers do this fairly cheaply, around $25 or so.

My guess is that your friend's SOT was unclear on the law when he bought the adaptor, or your friend bought the adaptor before the BAFTE clarified their position on changing oil filters (I don't know the history of that decision). But as it stands now, your friend is committing a federal felony by using his own oil filter on his adaptor. And if you shoot it with him you're also committing a federal felony. If you don't believe me, I'd suggest you or your friend call the BATFE's NFA branch for clarification, because this is something you don't want to mess around with.

Page generated in 0.03146 seconds with 8 queries