View Single Post
Old January 19, 2014, 12:51 AM   #36
Sevens

Just now caught the thread -- awesome that you got out of this jam unscathed! I'll bet you sweated off a few pounds worrying over this debacle!
(oh yeah, can't believe I'm the first to say it... but nice socks in the picture, man! )

Anyway, though the problem is solved, I have to make a comment on something brought up earlier:
Quote:
While safes are a good idea, one that breaks something when you slam the door, isn't.
Quote:
Safes are designed to break when exposed to force, which is the entire point. The safe doesn't know the difference between you slamming the door, and a bad guy smacking it with a sledge hammer, or flipping it on its back to begin to pry on it.
I'll have to second the motion on this one. On my former safe (which I sold to a good friend when I had to move) began to act up a bit (manual S&G dial lock), I got really familiar with the inside of it and I got a -very- good look at the re-locker and the fragile little plate and the awfully strong spring loading the re-locker pin. This entire little gizmo set-up was specifically designed to lock the safe up CLEAN AND DONE if it gets assaulted by some kind of drilling.

In looking at how it is designed... YEAH, I would not (at all!) recommend you violently slam the (ungodly heavy) vault door for any reason. But the point is... don't call your safe "weak" or "fragile" if it doesn't want to have it's heaviest moving part violently slammed shut.

The parts inside there truly are designed to shut down and lock up under assault. That's not "weakness", that's inherent security and defense from attack that's designed in to the safe.

Now then, OP, since you DID get out of this jam...

Why don'tcha share with us why in the heck you got mad enough to slam the door on your safe... with all your favorite stuff inside it?!

If I ever did that, I'd probably break my left wrist because I changed my mind about slamming it -- and I'd stick my stinkin' hand in there to stop it from happening.

Page generated in 0.03763 seconds with 8 queries