Thread: Wet Primers
View Single Post
Old February 1, 2013, 08:24 AM   #8
snuffy

The oft repeated question about how difficult it is to kill primers is repeated every-so-often.

One test I saw, a guy took every brand of primer he could get his hands on, dunked them in a bunch of different liquids. Water, alcohol, paint thinner WD-40 and so on. After each day he loaded and fired each brand. Some of them survived all liquids, at least partially firing. One brand that was most libel to fail was Federal. Even one day in water killed them, also all the other liquids as well.

I don't think he then let them dry out to see if they re-activated. I remember the test, but not where I saw it.

The primer pellet, the explosive part, is put in wet when they're assembled. Because the wet pellet would stick to the punch that inserts it into the cup, a paper disk goes on top of the pellet. That's what you see under the anvil. Then a coating of lacquer is dripped on the anvil and everything else.

Federal FDGM150M huh? Ya learn something every day! A match large pistol, must be what you'd use for 45 acp target ammo.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02552 seconds with 8 queries