Thread: Which knife?
View Single Post
Old July 31, 2009, 05:50 PM   #9
fisherman66

Quote:
First off you don't need near as big a knife as you think you do. A 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch blade is more than sufficent for most any deer/hog. I like a drop point as it's easier to miss guts as you field dress with one.

It's also nice to have a handle that is slip resistant, especially when wet.

If you go for a folder, and I'll say that I like them for carrying in the woods, be certian to get one with a RELIABLE lock. Remember that in the field all you are doing is getting the guts out and that does not take a big knife.

Back at the cleaning station you should have not only the knife but a saw and a sharpening steel, or stone, to finish the job.

Good steel is a must. I have a couple of Bucks, one is 40 years old and on it's second blade ( And that second blade they put on for FREE after I wore the first one down so far that it would not stay closed without a rubberband on it.) and a Gerber. The Gerber is a newer model with a half serrated edge. I did not think I would like it but have warmed to it. You still have to sharpen the serated part ( Yes it can be done easily. ) after splitting a pelvis or a brisket but it does job in the field so long as the deer or hog is not to big. Makes field dressing a little faster.

Buy a name brand with a good warrenty and learn to keep it sharp.
Excellent advice. I have had good luck with Gerber and Kershaw, but as long as it's good steel the manufacture doesn't matter much. A feral pig will dull a knife post haste. Have a sharpener with you. I keep a diamond impregnated single crock stick. I'm not a fan of serrated blades, but that's just my preference to have a nice long flat keen surface for clean cuts when working the backstrap and fillets out.

Last edited by fisherman66; July 31, 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added a bit

Page generated in 0.03073 seconds with 8 queries