View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 11:51 AM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroJunk:

Well, you can shoot 1/2 inch groups off the bench and it does not necessarily mean that you are good in the field. I bet there aren't a handful of hunters on here who can hit a 6 inch target at 100 yards with no rest with any consistency. Just make sure they are capable with the shots they will encounter.
I gotta agree. Altho I sure most of those same hunters will argue the fact, since 1'' MOA offhand is nuttin' on the internet. As important as shooting well off the bench or offhand at the range is familiarity and being comfortable with the firearm. This is why so many of those guys that shoot that 1'' MOA @ 100 at the local range miss their deer @ 70 yards on opening morning. Instead of shooting in their shirtsleeves like they did 2 weeks earlier at the range, they are bundled up in 4 layers plus a hunting coat. Add to that the adrenaline of seeing that first buck of the day. When they miss, it's the ammo or the scope got knocked off...or they hit a branch. What I see that most new/young hunters are lacking is enough rounds downrange with the firearm they are using. Because of the cost of ammo, they only get to shoot the minimal amount of rounds to get that new and unfamiliar firearm on paper. Two weeks later on opening day, the gun does not feel like an old friend, but an awkward stick in their arms. I see this not only in new/young hunters, but those that only use firearms for two days a year on opening weekend. Kids that shoot a lot, even if it's just with a BB gun or .22 will always shoot better on live game than those who shoot paper rarely. Kids who play first-person video games generally shoot live game better because they are used to obtaining a correct sight picture quicker and putting the sights where they belong, instead of on the middle of the target. They learn to determine where the kill zone is. This is another reason many young/new hunters wound game. They practice only on shooting to the center of the target. This many times carries over to the inexperienced hunter...they tend to aim for the center, not only because this is what they have practiced, but because it seems to be harder to miss. Get you kids to shoot a lot.......not just what they will use for hunting deer. Have them practice on realistic targets, not just round/square bulls-eye.

Page generated in 0.02871 seconds with 8 queries