View Single Post
Old July 9, 2012, 06:08 AM   #18
Salmoneye

Quote:
quoted again....
Quote:
Here's what I do...reload .357cases to a .38spec level and use them for range practice. This prevents the carbon ring buildup. My reload uses 6.5gr Unique powder and 158gr Speer bullets.

According to Alliant's current online data, and their 2004 paper reloader's guide, 6.5gr of Unique under any 158 bullet is well over .38+P levels... (end of quote).

The Alliant powder list may be right for your case. And yes, I'm trying match 38spec+p velocity doing this There are many references for reloading .357mag....

http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

http://www.reloadammo.com/

are just a few.

Remember, I'm reloading a .357case, not a .38spec case. Does make a difference. Also the bullets I'm using are Speer JHP which is what are available, also used Hornady XTP with similar results. The Speer are more accurate. I've also tried this with 125gr bullets with more velocity but still work good. And with 180gr bullets, not as good.

Several of us have tried this with good results. When I first tried it with 6.4gr of Unique, recommended by a friend, with my Ruger Blackhawk 6.5"barrel I got less than the 1000fps velocity I wanted. Using the 6.5gr (accurately measured) I get velocity up to 1060 with the Ruger. I have the std. Shooting Chrony, normally set at about 9'.
Factory .357mag loads, like Federal American Eagle gets up to 1500fps, lots of recoil, again with the Ruger.

With my S&W M&P360 snub nose, I get around 915fps with the 6.5gr Unique in the .357case. Makes sense with the shorter barrel. With a factory Rem .357 125gr GS load I get around 1210fps. So I can even use the special reloads in my snub for practice while avoiding the carbon buildup with 38spec ammo. I don't try the factory Fed AE .357loads in my snub, recoil is way too much.

There are always those around here trying to dispute what some people post and make them look stupid. Sorry if that's your objective. Try these reloads yourself and see what you get. Might even like it.

Cheers,
og...who is old but not stupid
No one suggested you were old or stupid...

My simple point was that Alliant does not recommend that you refer to that load as a ".38spec level" in any way...

The next person to come along and try that load in an old .38 Special revolver may just find that out in a hurry...

BTW...

Very familiar with your links, and many other sources...

Steve's Pages lists a top ".38spec level" load for 158gr bullet at 6.4gr Unique...

ReloadAmmo lists nothing approaching your above +P load as ".38spec level"...

Page generated in 0.03415 seconds with 8 queries