View Single Post
Old August 10, 2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Jason_G

I missed the "SHTF" comment in the original post. I don't know what "SHTF" scenario you envision, but you need to think about ballistics if you have HD in mind. A .308/7.62 NATO round is going to have approximately the same "umph" at 1000 yds as a .357 magnum at point blank range. If you live in an urban setting, and are thinking HD, you are looking at a serious overpenetration liability IMO. If HD is the "SHTF" scenario you are envisioning, you might ought to be posting in the shotgun section and asking a slightly different question.

If the rifle is to just plink and nothing else, then the AR15 would certainly be cheaper to shoot.

If the rifle is going to be used to do any hunting, or any long range target shooting, IMO, you probably don't really want that little sub 100 grain bullet, and this is where the M1A shines. You could go AR10 just as well, but I never liked the way they feel.

Like I said in my first post, you really need to try to handle both, if not shoot them both, before plunking down that kind of cash.
Don't let anyone talk you into one or the other without doing that.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America

Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 8 queries