View Single Post
Old February 26, 2007, 01:47 PM   #45
Leafs

I wouldn't shoot anything I wouldn't eat but I also wouldn't judge anyone as long as it's legal.

Why do so many not want to hunt seals? Are you afraid to get out on the ice (it's dangerous) or because they look so cute and cuddily?

Seals are the hogs of the ocean. I was fooled by PETA's full page ads in national newspapers. I didn't always feel this way until I seen the premier of one of Canada's provinces on the east coast own Paul McCartney and his ex-wife (anti-hunter) on Larry King. He provided the real facts and left McCartney speechless. I've since did my own research and it fully supports the sealers.

The seal heard on Canada's east coast has grown to over 6 million since a limited hunt was imposed because of pressure by over-the-hill celebrities trying to get in the spotlight. Scientists say the heard needs to be culled back to about 2 million like it was 200 years ago. The seals helped in the demise of the cod fishery and have put thousands out of work. Imagine telling farmers in the US there's nothing you can do to protect your crops from hogs.

Seals have been found swimming up fresh water rivers chasing salmon and trout. There's a video of seals in a bay feeding on a school of cod. The seals just bite a piece out of the belly and waste the rest of the fish. The whole bottom of the bay was littered with dead fish.

A very small portion of seals are killed just for their coats. The flippers are supposed to be delicious and the seal oil is used in many medicines and viatimins. Their only natural enemy on the east coast is the polar bear and inorder for the bears to control the seals scientists estimate we're about 75,000 bears short.

The biggest issue I noticed was the clubbing of seals. Again, after some research and not listening to some washed up celebrity talk about how cruel it is, I had a change of heart. Clubbing is actually more efficient than shooting and scientists recommend it because it's instant and most humane.

Page generated in 0.03143 seconds with 8 queries