View Single Post
Old August 21, 2018, 03:51 PM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
My BIL is thinking of leasing out some of his Texas ranch for hog hunts. No surprise he has a problem with the hogs beyond his capabilities
If you had a ranch what criteria would you use to allow hog hunters in and what would you charge?
Well right there, your brother has a conflict of interest. I understand the notion of making money for hog hunts. I also understand the problem with hogs. Once you starting leasing your land for hog hunts, hogs become less of a problem because they become a cash commodity. The people who lease their land to get rid of their hogs never really want the hogs gone because of the cash income.

If he is going to lease, I would suggest leasing to an outfitter instead of leasing to individual hunters. Have a contractual agreement with the outfitter and so only have one legal agreement with which to contend and only have the hassle of dealing with one entity.

You want an outfitter that is running hunts through the area on a regular basis. By making his property one of their regular stops, the property will get hit on a regular basis and that will keep the pressure on the hogs on a more consistent basis.

He won't make as much from the outfitter, but he also won't have to deal with all of the phone calls from allowing day hunts. He won't have to give the property tours over and over again. Etc. Day leasing will ultimately yield more money, at least for a while, but also just be a lot more hassle, particularly when clients are unhappy. With an outfitter running numerous properties, the outfitter handles all that.

He could lease to an individual, but few individuals are going to keep much regular pressure on the property. Maybe he could find the right person to be out there every weekend, but most individuals will let things slide if they aren't seeing any hogs on a regular basis.

Page generated in 0.02396 seconds with 8 queries