View Single Post
Old October 4, 2017, 01:22 AM   #8
bamaranger

family gun

I've come to learn that the Stevens 311A I described to all in my first post belonged to the sellers Grandad. I'm sure the sellers Dad hunted it as well. Some old 16ga shells that came along with the deal still had feathers stuck to them! I wish this old gun could talk. It likely saw bird hunting (around here that means quail) when it was in its prime in our area. Nowadays, small farms, small fields are gone, and the 'dozers have pushed the fencerows out, and there is much cotton and soybeans, and few quail.

I couldn't sell any "family" guns. And in defense of my friend the seller, he kept his Dad's pair of Model 12's, one a 12ga and the other a 20, as well as a Remington pump rifle in 25-20. I'll add that I am truly honored to think that Gary believed I could provide a good home for the old 16 ga double. He's tickeled pink to learn I've overhauled the old gun and cleaned it up.

Ideally, I wish the gun was 28", M&F, but it is not. It is a birdhunters gun, fast swinging at 26", and open choked for flushing game, M & IC. I am not a birdhunter. Were it M&F, I just might try to kill a gobbler with it next spring. But I really doubt that the Modified barrel will throw a tight enough pattern with 1-1/8 of #6 to satisfy me. 'Course, it would be a challenge to get a Tom in close enough. Decoys and a blind can yield some close shots. Modern shells and wads typically have tightened the patterns of most older guns. I have no idea of the old gun will shoot to point of aim either. The local Wally World has 16 ga shells on the shelf from Winchester, Fedral and Remington. Affordable "low brass" 1 oz game loads, and more expensive high brass 1-1/8 oz with good wads.

I've not patterned the old gun, we'll see........

Page generated in 0.02388 seconds with 8 queries