View Single Post
Old February 22, 2014, 10:28 PM   #24
BitterTait

I'd say government-covered liability is about the only thing that could bring the guns to market. Concerns of lawsuits due to ND/criminals stealing the guns is one thing. The concern I would have is lawsuits over the security features failing.

Imagine junior gets his hand on the SmartGun. This gun is designed only to fire by using a finger print scanner embedded in the stock. Pappa was careful; he chainges the batteries monthly, he practiced the right grip in all conditions to make sure he could always instantly unlock it. To make sure nothing bad would happen he never programmed Junior's finger print into the gun. Junior then uses jello and silly putty (or if he can't cook, simple scotch tape) to make a replica of Pappas finger print, fires up the gun and puts one through his foot. Massive lawsuit.

Lets say the gun maker comes out with the SmarterGun. This gun uses the RFID bracelet idea, it only works if a special bracelet is worn and Papa makes sure it's on him even when he showers. Junior, not the smartest boy, finds the gun again, pulls the gun apart to see how it works, notes the little solenoid that moves a bit of metal back and forth to block the hammer or allow the sear to travel. Using a piece of paperclip to hold the solenoid in the "make gun go bang" position Junior can now shoot off his other foot. Second massive lawsuit.

These are much more likely (and news cycle friendly) liabilities than the "lets sue the gunmakers for making a gun that anyone can sell". It's the self driving car conundrum, no one wants to make a car that can drive by it's self, even if it is 1000 times safer than a regular car if it fails in our litigious societies the rare cases it does fail more or less guarantee that the manufacturer gets a whopping lawsuit and attention grabbing headlines.

If I did have $1300 to burn, I would buy the Armatix iP1 just to see how easily it would be to bypass the smart band. I'm guessing there's three simple ways: Bit of metal or plastic in the right place to disable the disconnect mechanism, simple solder bridge or wire to make sure the current to the disconnect control is always on and directly hacking the radio signal. Hollywoodesque but a real possibility given things like this in the wild.

Random thought: This is pure Hollywood terror plot, but lets say RFID-locked guns become mandatory at a police department. Tech savvy criminals may start carrying powerful radio jammers that work at the same spectrum the RFID signal. Not a likely attack but it would be tempting to bring the jammer to the next SHOT show or press junket demonstrating the gun, sitting in the back and randomly activating it.