Thread: Run Away!
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2011, 09:21 PM   #83
youngunz4life

I agree with MLeake(and others)

I stated my opinion earlier in the thread. Also, the only bashing I have seen has been from the side that has been defensive about any kind of constructive criticism. Please correct me if I am wrong here. One example is a post that seems to state that anyone who doesn't see his side is an idiot. At least that's how I read it the one time I did.

I would like to point out also to Daugherty, I do not think the OP made it clear in his post he let the BG know he was "made" if I am reading this correctly. He never used his box as a barrier; he was just loading up the vehicle, but I guess you were saying he could have. There are times when it is acceptable to draw a weapon, and this is certianly one of them in my opinion. It doesn't mean that a weapon had to be drawn, as the OP has proven. This situation probably would've escalated if the OP hadn't left or if he had engaged the BG with any kind of conversation or action good or bad. This is speculation, but he definately meant business - his record and later actions have shown this to be true.

Also, not talking about anyone in this thread but TFL in general - there are people on the forum from all kinds of life, backrounds, age, careers, etc. I think it is just sometimes easier for certain individuals to react to these situations differently. I mean, some people do not want to pull a gun no matter what. Others this scenario would be like second nature to draw on the perp. I just, in my opinion, don't think some people realize how close to serious danger the OP was. It is very possible the BG was armed, but he was going to make a move if he got a chance either way. This BG seems like he had already 'graduated' and moved up in his life of crime. He was probably in his 2nd personality needing attention half drunk or on drugs but who the heck knows and who should have to care when I am just trying to go about my business?

Many of these BG's just don't think right. You might do him a favor, and then he gets mad at you when you won't do a second one. A good example is this exact scenario: the BG got mad at the OP because he wouldn't give up any change and/or didn't seem interested in his plight. "Well maybe I'll just rob you instead". Huh? Maybe your %^$ just ran into someone who has absolutely no problem standing his ground on you justifiably and in a calm and cool manner as well as with total confidence in the boys down at the station to boot. I'm not going to do anything I do not feel is right. I will face any aftermath with honesty and integrity as well. I know if I am doing something that is sending me down the river. That is one of the reasons why some people do not carry. They do not want to get in an emotional situation that backfires or do something stupid when they're trying to do the right thing. I am not worried about this. Perhaps I haven't seen enough in my life and there still is time to change my mind on that subject. I did serve four yrs active duty, and I did see a lot and learn some things but that is a different matter plus neither here nor there in this thread. Bottom line - if and when I ever use my weapon it will be for the right reason. If not, then I deserve whatever I get and yes, I know it might have to work its way thru the maze either way. Thats life. I do not think a prosecutor is going to try and ruin my life and family for doing the right thing and/or trying to do the right thing. Again, I know it isn't always that cut and dry but I am willing to stand up for myself. sorry for the rambling after the fact. I just figured since I hadn't said much I midas well stand my ground.

I wouldn't have shot this man, but I wouldn't have just gotten in my car and left unless I felt in my mind he wasn't a threat to do so(a good,early post mentioned this and this is very possible). The reason wouldn't be because I was scared to draw my weapon or if I wasn't sure what to do either. To the OP, I am not saying either of these last two sentences were your reasons. I would not have shot this man until more had happened after drawing, as I originally stated. Hopefully this wouldn't be the case. Seaman, yes check with the PD. You were given some advice and conversation. I recommend doing more research. There are other examples of having a firearm not shot yet while you hold it, and I wouldn't want to shoot off an ATTACK of a college drunk trying to get in a fistfight as even a further, totally seperate example I just eluded to. That scenario was going thru my head with some of your posts. The ordering of the perp without the weapon can lead to escalation and not de-escalation. The BG might not know what is coming without you showing the firearm. That in my mind would be wrong in numerous instances. It is common sense and a basic duty(duty might be a stretch but you're covering all the bases) to give the perp a chance to stand down. Obviously sometimes he/she isn't that lucky and Many people Die because they are too nice, flexible, and give a BG too many chances.

Last edited by youngunz4life; March 14, 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: punctuations/spellings

Page generated in 0.03657 seconds with 8 queries