View Single Post
Old June 9, 2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
They applied the same logic to releasing the slide after an emergency mag load - grab the thing and rack it versus using relatively fine motor skills to use the slide "release".
I've never believed in the fine vs. coarse motor skill argument.

Quote:
Safest thing it seems to me is to use the same technique to rack the slide in all circumstances.
BINGO! This is the answer I believe in as opposed to the fine vs. coarse motor skill argument.

You load, unload and clear stoppages by racking the slide. It's a common manipulation to accomplish multiple tasks.

Quote:
The tac pistol class covered double feeds - pull the mag out and rack the slide (overhand grip) 2-3 times.
I use entirely non-diagnostic techniques to clear stoppages. If the pistol fails to fire when I press the trigger I immediately perform tap, rack. If tap rack fails to get the pistol running then I attempt a Combat Reload. If I can't insert the magazine because the "spent" magazine failed to jettison when I pressed the magazine release then I put the fresh magazine between the ring and pinky fingers of my firing hand, lock the slide open, rip the magazine from the pistol, rack the slide 3 times, and then finish the Combat Reload.

If tap, rack fails to get the pistol running then I also have to decide if I have to do something to keep from getting shot, stabbed, beaten, etc., and do that FIRST because the tactical problem (keep from being hurt) is more important than the gun problem. I don't want to be standing there preoccupied with a gun problem and be vulnerable to whatever the bad guy(s) is trying to do to kill me.

Page generated in 0.03439 seconds with 8 queries