View Single Post
Old November 25, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Theohazard

I just noticed that you added a new part to your original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerdawg
Truthfully I see a lot of 7.5" pistols being built and wondered what kind of accuracy or velocity one might expect at say 100 yards.
In my opinion, 7.5" ARs chambered in .223 are terrible. The gas system is so short that they're difficult to tune properly, and even if they're tuned just right they're still nowhere near as flexible with ammo as an AR with a longer gas system.

Also, the velocity starts to really drop off the face of the Earth when you go from 10.5" to 7.5". Check out the tables on that website I linked above.

As for accuracy, shorter barrels don't necessarily lower accuracy. What they do is shorten sight radius when you're using iron sights, making it more difficult for the shooter to be accurate. Also, because the barrel is shorter the velocity is lower and therefore there is more time for the bullet to be affected by wind. But it's a myth that a longer barrel is inherently more accurate.

Hey, if you want a fun range toy that spits out a huge fireball when you pull the trigger, go with a 7.5" AR. But if you want good performance from your AR and good performance from your cartridge, I suggest going with 10.5" or higher.

Page generated in 0.02764 seconds with 8 queries