View Single Post
Old July 15, 2013, 07:44 AM   #48
dahermit

In general it has been my observation that modern manufacturing processes and Statistical Process control, has given the gun manufacturer's the tools to make guns better. However, the "Quality" initiatives as ISO 9000 are a complete joke. Instead of studying to find and change the actual causes of poor quality, the money is spent on programs that, "create the conditions" that will (supposedly), enable better quality. An example: I worked at a factory producing prosthetic knees and ankles. Under ISO 9000, there was a hard and fast rule that all the elements of an assembly had to remain in bins that were labeled. When an internal inspector found some pins on the table (where they could be easily reached by the assembler), he/she was chided for violating ISO 0000 protocol when in fact, that pin was the only pin in the assembly and could not be confused with any other part. Another example: The factory in which I worked, as per ISO 9000 protocol developed extensive visual aids to supposedly use to train the assemblers to use the exact same assembly sequence as approved. However, when training assemblers, they never made the visual aids available, because they "needed the visual aids on file so they would be available to ISO 9000 inspectors when they came to inspect for compliance". In short, if that factory had spent its money and effort on actual quality control, they would have had less returns of faulty product. But, then they would not have been able to fly the ISO 9000 flag under the U.S. flag on the flag pole.
Thus, modern manufacturing methods a plus, neutralized by the negative of current management practices.
As applied to modern handguns, I purchase a new Colt Combat Commander a few years ago. It came with grips that had very poor checkering. A blind man could have seen it. Where was the final inspector? It also came with a recoil spring that was under-powered, caused malfunctions and had to be replace, as did the firing pin spring. The firing pin spring was also under powered and allowed the firing pin stop to drop down and tie-up the gun when fired. In regard to the recoil spring, when compared to the correct weight spring when working the slide, anyone who sat all day and assembled the 1911, would have known by the feel that it was drastically underpowered. Why did the assembler not detect the problem? Where the H... was the inspection?
I wonder, is Colt ISO 9000 certified?

Page generated in 0.02652 seconds with 8 queries