View Single Post
Old July 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #27
kxkid

Re: DUI checkpoints: another example of how they can be abused

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuTcAsT View Post
kxkid wrote:

The key word is "lawful". Care to cite any law that makes this particular order lawful ? Simply because a LEO gave the order ?

Yes if a cop says to roll your window down more you must. Go ask any lawyer they will tell you the same that is a lawful order.

Really ? That depends on what constitutes an "alert" The dog in the video clearly is following a command.

You obviously have no idea how a k9 search is done on a car. There is a high and low search and the only way the dog knows what to do is by following the handlers hand.

Officers do not explain to you what the dog's reaction will be if he "alerts" on something so, anything could be considered a "hit".

We are not required to. But most dogs sit since departments do not like the liability of the scratching hit. And what I say in the video where the driver said the dog "hit" was not a hit at all and reason is the dog did not act like he wanted to go in, just jumped up to where the handler said to and did not smell anything.. If I saw video from the outside I could tell you if it was.

This particular "checkpoint" has existed in that area for years and, pops up at random. I drive through this area regularly, had my entire truck searched for no reason other than the "alert" of a dog. They found nothing because, there was nothing to find. I filed a complaint but, nothing has changed.

Hopefully this video will cast some needed light on this "checkpoint".
There are times where the dog is having a bad day and will alert to food. You never know. But like one person said the kid set this up and got what he wanted. Only thing is he doesn't let you know is that he did everything correct to get this reaction. If he just rolled the window down he would have been fine. Also its a DUI check point a lot of drunks try to keep the smell of the alcohol in the car by only rolling the window down partly, so you see my point about it being a lawful order?

Page generated in 0.03512 seconds with 8 queries