View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Straitshot

Like some of the others here I love to shoot my 45-70's. My lightest, probably between 7 and 8 pounds, is a lever 1886 carbine and the others are sharps single shots, the lightest is around 9 1/2 pounds. I shoot over the counter 350 gr. hallow point amo from the Browning 1886 carbine and the felt recoil isn't bad at all. I also have some hard cast 350 gr. gas checked hand loads I shoot. I can't remember for sure because it has been awhile since I last loaded some but I think I was using 28 grs. of HMR 4198. I shoot a 498 gr. lead cast Seco bullet and a 500 gr. cast RCBS bullet with 65 gr. of Goex cartridge black powder in the sharps rifles and after about 30 or 40 shots from the lighter one, if I am in a T-shirt, I start looking for my slip on recoil pad. That is mainly because it has a steel military style semi crescent butt plate. If I have a jacket on I usually don't bother with the slip on butt pad, but it is nice to have if I feel I need it. From my 12 lb. sharps the felt recoil is no problem at all. To me the felt recoil from smokeless and black powder is different. In my opinion black powder recoil isn't as harsh as smokeless powder recoil and as someone else mentioned stock design can affect felt recoil, so if I were shooting a break open H&H single shot I would consider shooting black powder.

Page generated in 0.02802 seconds with 8 queries