View Single Post
Old April 12, 2011, 12:35 AM   #8
Mr.Guido

Quote:
michigan laws on black powder handguns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is a nice little reply i got in the mail today from the state of michigan. its real enjoyable.

There was a statutory change in May of 2004 which exempted black powder muzzleloading handguns from the purchase permit requirement. The only black powder pistols that require the permit are ones that can be modified to also chamber a modern cartridge. According to statutory definition, a black powder pistol is still classified as a firearm, and is subject to restrictions on transporting or carrying concealed without a concealed pistol license.

Federal law does not classify black powder muzzleloading handguns as firearms. Therefore, they are not subject to the restrictions on shipping over state lines to an individual's residence. As long as UPS or FedEx will accept them for shipping, there is no state or federal law that would prohibit it.

so because of you guys and those fun little cartridge conversion units from kirst and r&d, a colt walker still needs a permit to purchase. what fun.

Relax Chicken Little, the sky isn't falling yet.

Whomever you got this from is either confusing State and Federal definitions for antique firearms, or is simply ignorant of the applicable MI statutes.

The following is the actual text of the law, not some secretary's convoluted interpretation.

MCL 750.231a

Quote:
(2) As used in this section:

(a) "Antique firearm" means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
I suggest you contact your source and request them to support their contention with reference to statute or binding court decisions. I suspect you will encounter some awkward back peddling.

Page generated in 0.02190 seconds with 8 queries