View Single Post
Old September 5, 2000, 05:35 PM   #1
Futo Inu

I don't reload yet, so my questions here are hypothetical at present, but I plan to soon. I am also considering, as one possibility, getting a rifle in this chambering as a versatile hunting rifle and reloading ammo for it.

At any rate, I was looking at a few reload manuals, and it seems to me that .280 Rem, loaded with a 162 gr boattail over 56.5 grains of H-4831 is just about an optimum all-around big game load. It pushes the 162 gr bullet at 2784 fps according to Lyman's (max). The load is compressed, which means it should be consistent, and the CUP pressure is only 46,900, so your chamber and breech face should last awhile. Recoil is going to be less than a 7mm Rem Mag, with only a 200 fps loss of velocity, and brass can be formed from cheap 30-'06, IINM, so cheaper to load than 7RM (less powder too). However, the 7mm bullets' BCs are much better over a much wider range than .30, and optimize at 160/162 gr (.550 BC) Anyone use this load or a very similar one for their hunting? Is it accurate/consistent in your rifle? If so, which rifle? TIA.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited September 05, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.05649 seconds with 8 queries