View Single Post
Old November 8, 2018, 04:29 PM   #9
SerenityNetworks

Hmmm. Thanks for all the input. Now my head is whirling.
  • I do shoot more 'yotes than hogs, but that may change.
  • If I go after the big boars then I'll be taking my 30-06.
  • Good points about not worrying about the BOSS. If needed, I can always put on a rubber de-resonator or similar. (I fiddled with one on my 30-06 and gained at around a 1/4 MOA when I stick with the same ammo. It probably wasn't worth the effort it took, but it does work.)
  • Also, thanks for bringing up the muzzle break point. I'm generally not a fan. I'd rather the sound go down range.
  • I've pretty much ruled out the .270 and the remaining options don't have that much recoil.
  • Multiple shots: Doubles are not uncommon on 'yotes, even with a bolt action. But I could have had a few triples if I'd had a semi-auto. Not so much on hogs. They scatter in a blink and where I hunt it's not wide open where I have any chance for a second shot.
  • I don't know why I didn't consider the .243. I shot my dad's a bunch years ago and loved the caliber. It's versatile and there's a great variety of ammo.
  • I'm not familiar with the 7mm-08 at all. It seems it has a little more oomph and a better BC at the top end. But it also seems there is a great deal of overlap with the .243.
The more I think about it, the .243 seems an attractive option. I'm not likely to be shooting 'yotes or hogs beyond 300 yards. So .243 or 25-06 or tell me more about the 7mm-08? And now that I'm not considering needing a rifle with BOSS, which BAR model to choose? I kind of like the idea of the composites that provide shims for drop and cast (especially cast).

Thanks again. This all has me considering things I otherwise wouldn't have thought about, which is the point of the thread.

Andrew

Page generated in 0.02166 seconds with 8 queries