View Single Post
Old February 19, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Pipeline

Snubby help...down to these choices.

All right, guys and gals, I need your help. I'm looking for a snubby for CCW and I had narrowed it down to the Ruger LCR 38, 357 or the S&W 442. First off, I'm intending to shoot 38 for practice and carry 38 +P for SD. The 357 is just too big of a load for me. But I had considered the LCR 357 because a more versatile gun would be better for resale, and a heavier gun theoretically would be better for recoil. Well, a while back, I got my hands on both the LCR 38 and the 357. In the hand and in the pocket, the 4 oz. difference was definitely noticeable, more than I thought it would/should. I concluded that between the LCR's, I'd go with the 38. So it was down to the LCR 38 and the S&W 442.

This past weekend, I went to a range that rents the LCR 38 and the S&W 642...wanted to give both guns a try before deciding. Based on online reviews and forum chats, I'd expected for the LCR to be a more comfortable shoot. Much to my surprise, it was the opposite. The muzzle flip on the LCR was more pronounced. It "snapped" back more relative to the S&W. One reason that may explain for this was both guns came equipped with the Crimson Trace. This made the LCR's grip a bit shorter than the standard Hogue grip and the Smithy's grip a bit longer than their standard grip. So did the S&W shoot more comfortably because it had a longer/more comfortable grip? or because it was 2 oz. heavier? or because it's better designed?

I don't know where this leaves me. Frankly, I'm more confused now than before. If it's a matter of grip, than will a standard LCR 38 with better/slightly longer grip feel and shoot better than a standard 442/624 with its slightly smaller/shorter grip? If it's a matter of weight, if the 15 oz. S&W shoots better than the 13.5 oz. LCR 38, maybe I ought to consider the 17 oz. LCR 357? If it's a matter of S&W feeling/shooting better in my hand due to its inherent design, regardless of grip or weight, than I ought to consider the 442. Unfortunately, the range doesn't carry the LCR 357 so there's no way for me to test these theories. For those who have shot these guns, please give me your thoughts.

One last question. Between the LCR 38 and 357, would you say the finish on the 357 is more matte and rough than the 38? (The 38 wasn't shiny per se, but had a bit more of a sheen to it?) It's been a while since I handled them and I'm not sure if I remember it correctly.

Page generated in 0.02472 seconds with 8 queries