View Single Post
Old September 20, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7
OJ

I guess this thread astonishes me more than any I can remember. As gun owners/enthusiasts, we really dislike being the object of uninformed prejudice painting us as knuckle dragging outlaw Neanderthals so we certainly shouldn't do the same thing to "bikers". Did the tinfoil in your hat tell you any biker wearing a helmet while paying is some kind of criminal threat? I've never in all my years of riding (started in 1940) seen any such sign prohibiting wearing a helmet inside any gas station and I've been in a lot of stations.

For openers, outlaw bikers are a tiny percentage of bikers and, as a rule, are the least likely to wear any protective gear such as helmets and leathers. Using a bike as a getaway vehicle instead of a car is totally not practical. Wearing a helmet is in no way the equivalent of wearing a ski mask to foil identity.

If a biker is wearing a helmet a plus "body armor" leathers, he/she is likely to be one of the most informed and law abiding riders on the road. Helmet prices for quality models start at some $250.00 and up and good leather "body armor" jackets - at least that much. Making a brief stop for gas shouldn't require removing the helmet - which would tie up one hand to hold it while trying to gas up the machine - or paying for the gas - or using rest rooms - all a lot more inconvenient than just leaving it on your head.

Alternatives include resting the helmet on the seat of a bike on a side stand - risking it falling off - most common advice is, if your helmet falls off like that, it should be replaced. Laying it on the oil stained pavement is less appealing and hanging it on the handlebar invites stealing it.

Bottom line is if you see a "biker" wearing a helmet and "body armor" leathers, he/she is likely the most conservative and law abiding customer you will encounter in the filling station or on the highway. It could be me - though I usually avoid filling stations because auto drivers tend to be much less considerate of bikes (their "right of weight" and tendancy to cut me off at any pump they want) than full size vehicles and I do most of my bike gassing from containers in my garage.

I am a retired general and cardiovascular surgeon - practiced nearly 40 years (after volunteering for service in WWII and Korean War) - and am a Charter Life Member of the AMA (AMERICAN MOTORCYCLIST ASSOCIATION). My most recent speeding citation was in 1962 and was in a car.

Note the "safety" stickers.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; September 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.02605 seconds with 8 queries