View Single Post
Old November 15, 2005, 06:36 PM   #14
Harry Bonar

crowning

Thanks UNKLENICK:
Yea, I've used chalk of my files (draw files) and it's great.
An old muzzle-loading gunsmith, Dave Taylor, of Little Hocking, Ohio told me about the denim for enlarging a hole, or "loading the teeth" as you say on a reamer, etc.
In the hand made muzzle-loading days the reamer was backed with a hickory scraper, and as it reamed the bore the wood wore slightly and caused the taper bore so desireadble in a rifle bore.
The milling machines I have (all but one) were the property of the Co., I worked for and I'm losing them now. I'm going back to my first and most precious days when I made muzzle-loaders, (I'm 70 now) and I think I'll just finish up with them - they are the most precious arms (and the most accurate) that exist, and the smell of black powder smoke is delightful.
With a faithful wife of 51 years, a warm shop, and a good dog I'm content to do this. Old "Brownie" my Australian Shepherd even comes on the bench and watches me work - God bless old dogs, good beer and guns!
Harry B.
P.S. I'm really finding peace with myself with this. It's pleasant to just work on muzzle-loaders for you use almost every craft existing (except playing cards or golf which I detest!) and going back to youth and old age at the same time - young people today that buy these so=called, plastic bubble packed abortions called muzzle loaders ought to build a real one - it is pleasant!

Last edited by Harry Bonar; November 15, 2005 at 06:47 PM. Reason: philosophical addition

Page generated in 0.02517 seconds with 8 queries