View Single Post
Old July 9, 2002, 12:58 AM   #1
chaim

What do you guys think of some of the "bargain" over/unders and SxS

I am thinking about adding one of these double barreled shotguns to my small collection. Something about them just appeals to me, though I don't really need them. I can't afford the nicer ones so I want to know what you guys think of some of the under $400 side by sides and over/unders.

At Dicks Sporting Goods they have an over/under (by Stoeger, I believe) for about $360 or $380 (I don't remember the exact price tag). I was surprised at that price how solid it felt. With the next cheapest over/under there being around $1000 I expected this to feel like junk, but it didn't. Of course I didn't fire it.

At Bass Pro Shops there was a Condor SxS for about the same price and about the same apparent quality.

At a local dealer there is a Norinco "coach gun" with a 20" barrel for $295. While I probably couldn't get into trap or skeet with this (hobbies I'd like to start) I could use it when I get into Cowboy Action (about a year off) and the size would make it practical for home defense (though the capacity, 2 rounds, really wouldn't).

While no local dealers that I checked (so far) had one I was also wondering how the Norinco would stack up with the EAA "coach gun". I think they are in the same price range.

Are these guns junk, or decent, if somewhat unsophisticated, side by sides and over/unders? Would I be better off just sticking with a pump for now and waiting a few years until I can better afford the premium double barrel shotguns (and wait until I actually start "Cowboy Action shooting" to get a "coach gun") or should one of these work out just fine?

Page generated in 0.03480 seconds with 8 queries