View Single Post
Old December 14, 2010, 07:47 AM   #41
phdinfunk

Cover vs. Concealment

Cover is the natural thing to think about in this situation. It's the point my mind used to naturally gravitate towards paying attention to. I'd enter a situation and immediately check cover.

Until I paid for some private professional firearms training. An ex-cop trainer, nothing sexy, but all very practical and real world stuff. One of the things that most stuck out in my mind after all that is how important concealment is. There are plenty of places to be that will not stop a bullet, but you cannot see me to hit me and I can still see YOU and shoot YOU. These are most important when I'm the aggressor and you don't even know I'm there, but even if you know I exist, if I'm behind a 30' row of thick hedges with a gun, and you're under the light in the middle of a parking lot, guess what, you're screwed!

The dumpster situation is terrifying for that precise reason. There are little nooks and holes in those things that someone could see from and shoot, meanwhile, I can't necessarily hit back.

So in this situation, my choice would be to ring the dumpster, shoot one where they'd just jumped in, and run like hell for safety.

--JP

Page generated in 0.02452 seconds with 8 queries