View Single Post
Old July 18, 2000, 02:05 PM   #9
Paul B.

Dogger. Most of my deer hunting experience with the 30-30 has been in the rain forests of Northern Califonia, up around Eureka and Humbolt County, and that was over 30 years ago. My choice was any good 170 gr. bullet. Ranges were short, and 50 yards was considered a fairly long shot. I don't believe I ever had a shot over 75 yards. Most shots were at the south end of a northbound deer. Little California blacktails. There was always the chance of picking off a Black Bear or two as well.
If most of your shots will be at relatively short range, in thick brush, I believe I would use the 170 gr. bullets. If you are hunting in an area where shots could reach out to, say 175 yards max, I personally would stay with the 170's, but would not rule out the 150's. Recently, I purchased a somewhat used Winchester 94 Canadian Centennial rifle that somebody made into a shooter. Two boxes of 150 gr. Federals came with it. Just the standard stuff, no premium ammo whatsoever. It was very accurate in a 20 inch carbine I was sighting in, and I figured to just shoot it up for the brass.
I do about 98 percent of all my 30-30 shooting with cast lead bullets now, even for hunting. They work just as well for most shots. Just don't try Texas heart shots with cast lead and you'll be fine.
Just for info. There is a cartridge called the .303 Savage, which pushed a 190 gr. bullet at somewhere between 1850 and 1900 FPS, depending on barrel length. This round was so similar to the 30-30 that you just about have to look at the headstamp to tell them apart. They are not interchangeable though. You can duplicate the .303 with a 190 gr. cast bullet. Some "old timers" I knew years ago, swore that the .303 was a better killer on larger deer and elk, than the 30-30 due to the heavier bullet.
Steve M. said he had accuracy problems with the 170 gr. bullets, probably due to not quite enough velocity. I think he is right.
The 150 gr. Federals I mentioned clocked 2290 FPS in a 20 inch barrel, 2350 FPS in a 24 inch barrel and 2490 FPS in the 26 inch barrel of the Canadian.
Hope this helps.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02959 seconds with 8 queries