View Single Post
Old February 18, 2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
except for if it was a tactical mistake to do so
The problem is that it's sort of a "loaded question". LIke I said, there are scenarios I can imagine wherein I would shoot through the door, no questions asked, but there are many more wherein I feel that it is safer to wait.

Let me give you an example:

1) I see a guy in my house, I identify that he is holding a gun. As I retreat to the bedroom with the wife and kids, I see him headed my way. I lock the door and call the police. He starts kicking the door and fires a couple rounds through it. Now, in this case, I'm shooting through the door. I have no doubt about his intentions and he has escalated the violence beyond any reasonable hope of a peaceful end.

2) I see a guy in my house, I identify that he is holding a gun. As I retreat to the bedroom with the wife and kids, I don't know where he is or what direction he went. I lock the door and call the police. A few seconds later someone is banging on the door and yelling "Hey, are you alright! I saw a guy run from your house!" It can't be the police, I don't recognize the voice as being a neighbor.... NO WAY am I shooting through the door. Even if they start trying to come through the door the threat is not sufficiently identified in my mind to pull the trigger. It COULD be a well meaning person doing something that is really quite stupid but thinking that they're helping. I'd still be shouting warnings and such but you just never know what somebody might do that thinks they're being a hero.

Page generated in 0.02172 seconds with 8 queries