Thread: NOT Gun Control
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2018, 07:21 PM   #139
NateKirk

Quote:
The myriad other ways there are to kill someone can't be irrelevant to the issue of murder and a desire to reduce murder rates.
They're not, when discussing murder rates. But the discussion pertains to firearms specifically.

Quote:
Arms were a means of direct harm at the adoption of the BOR, just as they are now, so that can't be a reason to change the scope of the BOR.
This logic makes murder legal and constitutional, as long as one uses a "arm" to accomplish the task because that is their original purpose and was during the formation of the BOR.

Quote:
In other words, scrap the Second Amendment, and convert the right (to keep and bear arms -- sometimes) into a privilege.
Obviously any restriction to or limit of a right instantly turns it into a privilege, if you want to look at it that way. I have the right to use the facilities when I like. I have the right to sing Broadway showtunes loudly outside my neighbor's house at 2 am, but I'll more than likely be arrested or ticketed for disturbing the peace. So much for the "right" to free speech, huh?

Quote:
A terrorist recently mowed down a number of people on a bike path in New York City with a rented vehicle. Can we conclude that you are now advocating for more stringent background checks on everyone who wants to buy or rent a motor vehicle> If not ... why not?
I covered this:
"People use guns to kill each other because they are convenient not just effective. Requiring more of a shooting education and investment in order to access firearms legally, will make them less convenient. Someone will make the argument that people are going to just kill each other anyway, even if they have to use a different method; that is besides the point. The point is that firearms will be less convenient to the unstable making mass shootings less feasible, and by making these compromises the firearms community will be protected."

And:
"Many mass shootings are not about the act but inflating the killer. Many tie firearms into their ego (as I believe the latest perpetrator did) and are more inclined to use a firearm to carry out the act.

Another important point is that the people who carry out mass shootings would rather I'm sure be remembered as a killer or a murderer, the label the gun provides, rather than as a psychopath or terrorist, the label that bombs, trucks, machetes, etc, provides.
"

― --Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by NateKirk; February 19, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.02154 seconds with 8 queries