View Single Post
Old March 9, 2019, 10:11 PM   #17
LineStretcher

At first I was wondering what type of rifle you were sighting in but then you said it was happening to all 4 rifles so that became moot point. I then had to wonder what single factor would affect all of them the same and the only thing that makes any sense is that you're trying to do this through a glass window. It's probably double pane and nitrogen filled so who knows what kind of distortion you're getting from that but for sure there is some unless your window glass is made by Schott. Really, it's the only external factor that's common to all of your rifles.

So, I didn't say all that without having a solution in mind and here it is.

1. Position your rifle so that one of your walls is about 5-10 feet from the ocular lens.

2. Turn out the lights and point a strong flash light into the objective lens. Now look at the wall. You should have a silhouette of your reticle on the wall.

3. Hang your plumb line on the wall, level your rifle, loosen your rings and adjust your scope so the reticles vertical lines, align with the weighted string.

You can adjust your power settings to make the silhouette sharper if needed. You are not aligning your scope with your bore at this point, you are just making sure that it is trued to a known level point on the rifle.

To get it on paper, just put a piece of paper on the wall with a black dot on it and then remove the bolt and look down the bore and put the dot in the middle of the bore. Now measure the distance from center of bore to center of the scope objective lens and then put a second dot on the paper that is the measured distance above the first dot.

Now look through your scope and adjust your windage and elevation to align the cross hairs with the upper dot.

I guarantee you will be on the paper and you should only need two shots to sight it in.

See, sometimes there really is a easy solution.

Last edited by LineStretcher; March 9, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.03896 seconds with 8 queries