View Single Post
Old November 3, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
oley55

small base sizing die

I bought a set of lee dies with the factory crimp die which works great. I did however find that my finished rounds were not chambering well and had to get an RCBS "small base" sizing die.

also you will want to get mil spec primers to prevent slam fires. The CCI 41 small rifle primers are mil spec and have a harder primer cup. My son brought me some brass over a couple days ago and some of them had been previously reloaded by a friend. Upon inspection they had been reloaded with normal nickel coated primers (the CCI #41s are brass colored). They all had very deep firing pin indentations and at least two looked as if the firing pin may have punctured the primer. I sent the lot back with him as I do not load other peoples brass due to not knowing how many times they had been cycled.

I also size by ar15 ammo to .005 smaller than the fired cases from my weapon (DPMS Oracle) rather than down to the prescribed 1.760 to reduce case stretch and extend case life. I use a Wilson case gauge for this measurement. My fired rounds measure 1.769 so I size to 1.764. A friends Bushmaster's fired cases measure at 1.765 so the prescribed 1.760 would be right for him. I guess that means my DPMS Oracle a bit looser than the Bushmaster.

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 8 queries