View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

If all your looking to shoot is target then use just enough of the lino to get better fill out in your mold. Much more is pretty much wasted on the ACP.

As for a good easy to use trap that will keep your bullets more intact you might give the following a try.

See if you can find some screw on lid 5 gallon buckets. The snap on will work just more of a pain to use. Fill with very fine sand that has just enough moisture in it to pack good, but not clump when you squeeze a hand full together. As you fill the bucket with it put in about 4-6" at a time. In between adding use the hadle to raise the bucket up 6-8" and drop it on it's bottom to pack the sand. You don't have to get overly carried away, and you will see how its best to get a good pack with the sand your using. Once you get the bucket filled to the top you can hand pack the last bit to it is good and tight. You want enough to go to the rim but also allow the lid to screw or snap on. Sometimes they are recessed a bit and you have to leave an inch or so of room. Onmce you get everything put together you can use what ever to set the bucket up on it's side. I have used both a framed holder made with crossed 2x4's as well as an empty 55 gallon barrel. I set a couple of short 2x4's along the sides to keep it from rolling. THen just slap on a stick on target ot you can even use a stapler to put printed targets on the lid, then shoot away. Your ACP isn't going to go but around 6-10 inches in at 10 - 20yds and recovery of your bullets is easily accomplished using a piece of expanded metal or hardware cloth mounted in a 2x2 frame. I set mine up so that when I am dumping the sand out I can catch the bullets on the screen and the sand falls through into one an empty syrup buckets like you put out for cattle. A washtub will work just as well though, just something with a 2'" or so diameter to allow the screen to set atop and the sand to be emptied into it from above.

Using a paint scraper allows you to remove the sand easily in layers so that once you get to the area where you bullets are, they can usually be picked out pretty easily by hand. Once you get out what you put in stand the bucket back up and repeat the filling with the sifted sand. IF it dries out a bit I have found about 1/4 of a bottle of water usually will freshen it right back up. Too much however will make it mushy and also give you more penetration than you really want.

Hope this helps it works great for me shooting everything from .357 through my 454, but I DO have to adjust the range for the heavier loads.

Page generated in 0.03543 seconds with 8 queries