View Single Post
Old November 18, 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
MikeNice81

Pax, I was actually going to send the OP to Cornered Cat. The info on there (basically what you posted) is great.

I have a small one and hardly take her out by myself. Mainly because of the dangers of emptying a cart or buckling her in alone. I'm trying to work the info in to my memory enough to execute it when I need it.

To the OP, when I'm with my wife or another person I take a different approach than you. I open the door completely. If there is a car beside you that narrows the viable path of attack. I then let the second person secure the child while I stand at the rear corner of the car. It allows me to scan the enitre parking lot while limiting the viability of approaching from the rear.

A thug probably doesn't want to fight with a large barrier -like a car door - between him and the target. It slows him dow and limits his effectiveness. If they have to come through one person at the rear before getting to the semi-vulnerable target it tends to deter them. Why fight two people? You can find an easier target elsewhere.

The best thing to remember is make sure you can get out fast. If you feel things are turning bad, beat it. Chances are, if you wait two or three blocks to buckle the kid in completely it will be okay. (Thanks to Pax for that bit of advice. That was one of my biggest mental blocks. I always worried about completely buckling the kid in.)

Last edited by MikeNice81; November 18, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.02462 seconds with 8 queries