Thread: Carry Method
View Single Post
Old June 19, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
the_pragmaticist

I am 6'2, 180 with a 33 inch waist, for comparison. I can tuck my Springfield champion (4 inch barrel 1911) at about 4:00 on my waist and it's completely concealed with the right shirt. I tend towards khakis and dress shirts; if you blouse the shirt just a little and you don't bend all the way over at the waist for any reason it stays very hidden.

I have a VMII on order (come on, October!) but for now I just use a High Noon mass production tuckable IWB. The stock safety on the Springer is a big honkin' thing which is actually in the process of being replaced with a colt-style safety - the big one digs into my skin (and the cheap holster doesn't protect above the trigger guard). I am hoping that with the smaller, rounded safety I will be able to carry against the skin without as much discomfort.

This is an argument for a 1911 (you can get a 3 incher from Colt, the Defender or the New Agent) because the shape and angle of the grip conform to your body nicely at the hip. The revolvers may do this as well; I've never carried one. The better holsters hold the gun tight against and high up on your body so a nice short barrel doesn't even print in your pants.

I am also making a statement of awareness. You are more aware of your weapon than 99% of the people you're going to be around. As long as you're carrying legally, the other 1% is (probably) law enforcement and other CCW holders. What I'm trying to say is that while you can walk the runway in front of a full length mirror for 15 minutes each morning trying to spot your own gun, very few people will be curious, if even aware, of whatever's under your shirt. If you carry a cell phone on your belt, put it near / over the weapon and all suspicion is diffused.

As do many of us, I like to play find-the-gun when I'm out and about. In the approximate year since I've taken an interest in concealed carry, I haven't positively identified a single armed citizen. That may tell you I'm unobservant, but I think the truth of the matter is that it's harder to spot than you think.

Something else to consider before you give up on wearing a blazer (at least on the cooler days) - your draw, no matter now much you practice both ways, is going to be significantly faster and more reliable if the weapon is NOT under your shirt. Attempting to clear your shirt and then draw adds time and variables (snags, shirt between hand and grip, etc) to your draw so if you do have the option, your weapon will be more accessible simply IWB and covered by a jacket. People do sometimes wonder why I wear a coat until it's 75 degrees.

Of course, you could just sign some Texas open carry petitions to be like Ohio where if you want to strap on a tactical thigh holster for your hand cannon, there's very little stopping you ;p

Page generated in 0.03468 seconds with 8 queries