View Single Post
Old June 5, 2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch, I'm assuming that this is the "crush" fit you are referring to. How do you determine that .002" to .003" measurement before disturbing your lathe set-up? Adding to this, I'd most likely be barreling a Rem 700 with a separate recoil lug (which acts like a giant washer) & would that effect the "crush"?
The crush I was referring to is the difference between a barrel snugged up hand tight to the same barrel tightened in a barrel vise. If you have cut your threads tight and worked the action over the threads to smooth out any roughness in the threads (some of us even lap the threads), the difference between hand tight and tight-tight in a barrel vise is about .002"-.003". When the action closes on a go gauge, with just enough drag to allow the handle to drop slowly under its own weight, you will have a tight chamber when you tighten the barrel, just enough to have to push the handle down on a go gauge. And yes, it is a "feel thing". After you feel a few dozen, you know when it's right.

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries