View Single Post
Old May 30, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
BumbleBug

Different ways to chamber a rifle barrel?

I’ve been reading/googling about different chambering methods. I’ve never chambered a rifle barrel, but I would like to someday. Please excuse me if I get some of the nomenclature wrong.

It looks like the preferred method is to have a lathe with a big enough headstock to pass the barrel through & align the muzzle with a spider. Then a fixed reamer is passed into the turning barrel.

If the lathe head stock is too small, can the reamer be chucked & aligned & be turning while the fixed barrel is advanced on to the reamer?

Also I’ve seen where short chambered barrels are tightened on to the action & a reamer on a T-handle is hand turned “in-&-out” to gradually get a perfect closer on the go-gage. Can a barrel blank be short chambered with drill bit that only removed metal inside the chamber dimensions & then use this method to finish?

I’ve also read about a reamer that is on a long rod with a T-handle that attaches at the muzzle end & is gradually turned pulling outward until the bolt just closes. I’m not sure but perhaps these are only made for the .223 cartridge, although it seems like it could work for other cartridges.

Are there any other methods? Is the first method the only way to go if you are serious about accuracy? Are the hand reamer methods only good for mediocre hunting rifles. What methods do the big companies like Remington & Winchester use to mass produce their various barrel chambering’s?

TIA - Any info or comments are appreciated…

…bug

Page generated in 0.02988 seconds with 8 queries