View Single Post
Old April 10, 2013, 06:47 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Unread Yesterday, 07:58 PM #9
Slamfire

Posts: 3,343 This is wisdom and it is so scarce in today’s world:

Quote:
In all likelihood, you're pushing the shoulder back much too far when you full-length size.

The generic "instructions" that come with most die sets are worse than worthless. They tell you how to make a case that's one size into a case that's an absolute minimum size but they don't do a thing for the 99.95% of factory guns that are not that minimum size.

These ledges are the difference between Go (bottom ledge) and No Go (top ledge). That is not much and you won’t get in-between there by following the die instructions of letting the die touch the shell holder plus a quarter turn. Unless you are lucky. Sometimes luck happens.

The L.E. Wilson case gage comes with with instructions, instructions can be passed out, not easy to force someone to read the instructions then there is the problem of assuming those that can read can comprehend what they are reading. Recently, the Wilson case gage has been referred to as being a drop-in gage, then there are those that have passed the Wilson case gage off as a gage that is used with the fingernail. POINT?: The Wilson case gage comes with instructions, “This is wisdom and it is so scarce in today’s world:” The Wilson case gage instructions recommend using a straight edge, then the instructions go on to suggest a steel pocket rule.

The pocket rule is to be used across the top of the case head, when working with fired cases the case will (most likely) protrude from the top of the gage, when using the steel rule there will be a gap, between the steel rule and top of the gage, this gives the reloader another opportunity to take a wild guestimate when measuring the amount of light that can be seen between the rule and gage. Option, the feeler gage, the reloader can measure the gap between the straight edge and top of the gage, in thousandths, with the feeler gage.

Then there always the “What now?” A reloader with a straight edge and feeler gage can measure the length of the case from the datum/shoulder to the head of the case in thousandths. “Now What?” , number one answer”

“These ledges are the difference between Go (bottom ledge) and No Go (top ledge). That is not much and you won’t get in-between there by following the die instructions of letting the die touch the shell holder plus a quarter turn. Unless you are lucky. Sometimes luck happens” in my opinion, the feeler gage is a standard, it is a transfer, I have no clue why someone would get attempt getting in-between the steps of the Wilson case gage, back to rare wisdom in today’s reloading on the internet. We are measuring a fired case in the Wilson case gage, if the case protrudes and the user of the gage understands datums, straight away, the reloader must recognize the case must not be resized to minimum length, minimum length? The owner of the Wilson case gage must understand it is most important the case be measured in the gage before firing, if the case is not measured before firing the reloader has nothing to compare the fired case to. The difference between the two readings indicate the effect the chamber had on the case when it was fired.

Back to “Now What?'”, if the proud owner of the Wilson case gage read and understood the instructions and developed skill and understanding of the feeler gage the reloader could transfer the reading/measurement in thousandths from the Wilson case gage to the ‘die off the shell holder’ measurement.

“This is wisdom and it is so scarce in today’s world:”

Monkey see, monkey do, pictures of the Wilson case gage is always presented with the case head up, why? I do not know, but for me there is no upside down, I use a set-up table/flat surface, I stand the case up then lower the the gage into the case. When measuring fired cases I expect the case to protrude, it matters not the case protrudes, it is the “by how much” I am interested in, and, again, I want to know in thousandths. I measure the gap between the flat surface and bottom of the Wilson case gage. Once I have the measurement to the press by adjusting the die to and or off the shell holder, with an exception, sizing a once fired case is not the came as sizing a 6 time fired case,

Gage up and or gage down, careful when taking the Wilson case gage seriously, when standing the Wilson case gage up of a flat surface the case neck can not protrude meaning the table will be supporting the case off the shoulder/datum of the gage, and always remember, the Wilson case gage measures the length of the case from the datum back to the head of the case and from the datum/shoulder to the mouth of the case. When the length of the gage is measured is will match maximum case length listed in reloading manuals.

Back to that wisdom thing, “This is wisdom and it is so scarce in today’s world:” it is not necessary to count but there is a reoccurring suggestion that we all should do as the bench rester does and full length size every time.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries