View Single Post
Old May 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #46
Sleuth

I think many of you are missing some important points.
For four years, my wife has been teaching a ladies only basic handgun class. There are two factors to this:
1.Women learn differently than men. I don't have the references handy, but it has been proven through academic research.
2. Women have been socialized differently. When boys got a toy gun, girls got a doll. As they grow, boys are expected to be independent, take charge types. Women are (still) expected to be dependent - the man protects, the women nurture. Look at most any TV show or movie.

An integral part of her program is telling the women to do what they have been taught to NEVER do - make a scene! Guys will rise to a challenge, raising voices. Women try to divert a challenge.

I was the lead Firearms Instructor at my agencies western academy. I always insisted on having a female instructor on board for every basic class. Some women needed to see a female who could do as well as teach. And we never separated our classes by gender. There was one standard - pass or fail based on ability, not gender.
When lives are at stake, we need winners, without regard to gender, any other qualifier.

Page generated in 0.02253 seconds with 8 queries