View Single Post
Old March 31, 2014, 02:13 AM   #1
ckpj99

Please help me understand powder differences

So, I seem to keep buying weird powders that won't work with the most widely available bullets. Finding loading information has been a pain. I currently load for .38, and I'm stocking up to start loading for .30-30.

I started loading .38 in the middle of the ammo drought, so powders were scarce. I picked up Trail Boss and some Hi-Skor 800-X. I have successfully loaded .38 rounds with both these powders.

I ran to my local place today and picked up some Lever Evolution powder and some more Trail Boss. Now I'm researching bullets online, and the most affordable .30-30 bullets (by a long shot) are cast lead. It looks like I could get about 1000 fps out of them with Trail Boss, which just seem pretty useless for anything but plinking at 50 yards or less. And while I may be able to work a load up with Lever Evolution powder it seems like a bad idea. Lead bullets don't like to go faster than 1500-1600 fps, and with Lever Evolution being such a hot powder, I think using a lighter charge of LE might result in a case that isn't full enough.

Also, there seems to be absolutely no loadings for Hi-Skor 800-X in rifle calibers. Why? I'd understand if it was a really fast burning powder, but it seems to be the opposite.

So can someone explain to me why shotgun powders seem to be ok for pistol rounds? Also, why can Trail Boss be used for everything? I know there are other more "universal" powders (Unique?), so what's up with those? What's the deal with rifle powders being so specific?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go buy a powder specifically for .30-30 lead bullets. What the heck! Help me stop buying stuff I don't need, lol. (It's actually not that bad, I can use the 800-X for .38 rounds and I'll eventually want to load some jacketed stuff for the 30-30).

Page generated in 0.02356 seconds with 8 queries