Thread: 1000 Yard Rifle
View Single Post
Old June 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #28
Jimro

Bart B.

I'm not sure someone new to the game would notice accuracy degredation from a modest 6.5 like the CM or Rem at 2,000 rounds. Initial reports from the guys shooting the Creedmoors seems to indicate that it isn't unexpected to get 2,500 plus rounds before the barrel starts to open up groups. Based on the operating pressure of the round not being greater than the parent cartridge, I acknowledge that the smaller bore should wear quicker, but how significantly is the question. Not all barrels are created equal, but the modest 6.5s are definitely not barrel burners.

And I agree there is nothing wrong with the 308 as a first rifle getting in to long range. However, for the same price you can get a 6.5 and if you don't handload, the cost of ammo becomes immaterial (the cost of premium long range commercial loads being similar). Estimating 500 more shots for a 308 before a rebarrel on a Savage means you would spend about twice the amount of a barrel on ammo before another barrel change.

Doing the math on the rebarreling costs over the lifetime between a 308 and a 6.5 is an interesting thought experiment. If you bought 15,000 rounds of ammo for your rifle, at 3,000rds/barrel for 308 you need 5 barrels to shoot it all in 308. At 2,500rds/barrel you need 6 barrels to shoot it all in a modest 6.5. When you average out the cost of a premium barrel over that lifespan, say 400 dollars, the "cost" per shot increase for the 6.5 is only 2.6 cents per shot. There is a difference, but the cost is easily absorbed over time.

The other factors that the modest 6.5 have going for them is the lack of milsurp or "crap" ammo that tempts people to plink, reduced recoil over the 308 pushing either a 175 or 155 HPBT. The downside is that if you compete in F class you have to compete in the "open" category. The 308 or 223 are the only two allowed in F/TR.

And while my experience with a Tikka was very positive, I too recommend a Savage as a first long range precision rifle. Get a model with a 26" barrel or longer, a 24" or shorter barrels can quickly become "marginal" at 1k depending on atmospherics near sea level. The Savage Palma rifle is an amazing platform if you have the coin to buy one right away.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.02581 seconds with 8 queries