View Single Post
Old March 11, 2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

XDM Compact 3.8 Range Report

Earlier in the week I posted that I was considering picking up one of the new XDM Compact pistols. It didn't take much convincing, but after Hickok45 posted up his new video of the gun, I was sold.

Finally got to hit the range today with one of the 250 round boxes of Remington UMC from Wal Mart. I shot all 250 rounds over a course of about 40 minutes or so using my Uplula speed loader. I was more focused on performance of the XDM than really taking my time and focusing on accuracy. I had cleaned the XDM and oiled the rails with MPro 7 after I bought it.

Well, I must say that I am impressed with the gun. Recoil is minimal. The dremel-fitted XD pinky extension that I fit onto the short XDM magazine makes the gun fit perfectly in the hand. While still providing great concealability and comfort IWB.

At the range, the XDM did not disappoint. I shot all 250 rounds from varying distances as short as 21 feet/7 yards out to 75 feet/25 yards. I don't claim to be a marksman and I never really shoot at that distance. I primarily focus on 21-30 feet during normal range visits. For me, keeping my shots inside of a silhouette target at 75 feet is doing alright. With this XDM Compact I was able to keep 10-shot groups at about 8-9 inches from 75 feet standing, unsupported. For me, that's impressive... probably not for a lot of you guys.

I shot all rounds using only the single 13-round magazine and did not have a single FTF, FTE, Stovepipe, or any other failure or bobble of any kind from round one. By the end of my shooting, the gun was pretty darn hot! Overall, I really like this gun. The trigger is great. The reset could be a little better and there could be a little less take-up, but this is a carry gun for me, not a range-only performance gun. I have seen the results of the powder river trigger kits for the XDM's and they are very impressive with their reduction in take up, over travel, and reset length. I have considered ordering a kit... but I may wait it out. The stock trigger is very smooth. I think I'll keep this one around for a while.

Here's a few pics:

The gun after firing all 250 rounds.

The target... after all 250 rounds!
Note: This target was not the only one shot at. I hung up 2 other targets that were (mostly) lined up the same way. I just left this one on the back so it all of the rounds through it...

Page generated in 0.04459 seconds with 8 queries