View Single Post
Old June 18, 2019, 10:14 PM   #32
Stargater53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
If my dad were still alive and still had his machine shop I spent so many thousands of hours working in my 4" and 6" GP-100 would both be half lug guns.
I had a grandfather with a machine shop. Years ago on the railroad, some railroad execs were passing through and they saw my granddad take a piece of copper and put it over the head of a hammer. One asked why he did that and he explained that it increased the life of his hammers. They did some checking and found out it did, and they instituted it nationwide. He got a check for a whopping one hundred dollars and the railroad saved...well, I don't know how much, but it was a lot more than a hundred dollars! He took his check and bought s some nice equipment for his machine shop. And he had enough left over so he didn't have to eat tongue (which he hated) for awhile. At the time, that hundred bucks was like winning the lottery. Today, not so much.

I still remember the smell of machinery and oil in his shop. There was a little gravel path from the house to the shop, and when I was three, I used an old silver spoon my grandma gave me and a bucket and I'd play with that gravel while my granddad played in his machine shop. I guarantee he had more fun back them than I did!

--

Last edited by Stargater53; June 18, 2019 at 10:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.02288 seconds with 8 queries