View Single Post
Old February 18, 2009, 12:11 PM   #14
jg0001

Quote:
if the bad guy is outside your bedroom door and not yet comming in, you are not yet in jeopordy
You're kidding right? If someone is in my house and persues me as I retreat, they are placing me in jeopardy; I may have no idea if they have a weapon, but even a momentary intent to do me harm in my own home should be justification enough for force. Just because I may have found momentary sanctuary doesn't mean I need to wait until the playing field is even again before I make my move. The whole point of the post was to ask if it was tactically an advantage to begin the shooting (assuming I would be shooting were there no door) with the door still closed, the assailant NOT charging nor having a bead on me, etc. Once the door is open, the threat level to me will rise rapidly in a split second.

I'd agree that a lot has to be read into this, but if we're talking worst case scenario, I'm not going to gamble with the lives of my family in order to be sure I have a 100% righteous kill, if that's what it comes to. Once the door is down, I'll have lost any advantage I may have had. And, again, I'm not talking some kind of saferoom setup here, I'm talking a door a 10 year old could probably break down (or someone with a flat head screwdriver on the simplistic interior door lock).

I can see this is getting a little mired in the legal mindset. Were this a question of MILITARY tactics and there no question whatsoever as to the intent or ability of the assailants, and little worry at all about mistaking the BG for someone else, and no worry about misses (***that cover it all?***), would you then be firing through the door/wall or would you still wait until the BG could see you in plain sight?

Page generated in 0.04342 seconds with 8 queries