View Single Post
Old November 17, 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
veeref

Losing awareness when securing children/infants...

First off, I apologize if this has been addressed before. I searched as best I could but couldn't find any similar 'hits' on this topic.

Today, my wife, my 2.5 y/o and I were returning to our car, which was parked in front of a 'big-box store.' My wife sat in the front passenger seat of my small hatchback and closed her door while I was securing my son in his car seat. For those of you who have small children, I'm sure your familiar with the time and effort it takes to buckle your kids up - as well as the awkward position you're in with your back to the outside. Just as I finished securing my son, I noticed a man approaching my car directly at an angle from the rear that I was not comfortable with. When I looked down, there was a dog at my feet (no leash) looking like it was about to jump in my car, and the man had both his hands in his pockets. This took my completely by surprise. Based on his appearance and demeanor, I felt he was 'out of place'. Most 'normal' people I feel would be calling to retrieve their dog, apologizing, etc. This guy just stood there about 2-3 feet from me.

The only thing I could utter to the man was that I have my dog in my car and if he could get his dog away from me. He simply said 'okay' and walked towards the front of my car and up to another shopper putting his items in his car at an uncomfortably close distance. I thought he might have been asking for money, but he said nothing to the other man either.

Do you folks have any suggestions to proactively prevent yourselves from leaving your back exposed and 'heads down' in this scenario? Soon, my wife and I won't be able to just sit in the back seat, shut the door, and strap our kids in since we will have 2 car seats on opposite ends.

Regards,
~V

Page generated in 0.03557 seconds with 8 queries