View Single Post
Old December 12, 2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I've got some Winchester Supreme .308 match ammunition I bought awhile back. It's cases are not nickel plated. I don't know which of that line might be and which might not?

Nickel flakes and peels where you've trimmed a case neck. Nickel is much harder than brass, and the flakes will score a steel die, making it scuff all the brass cases you subsequently put through it.

Despite that problem, I used Nickel-plated Remington .308 brass one season for match shooting. My idea was I would be able to get around all the brass hogs on the line who usually walked off with a portion of my brass, often just through carelessness. I figured to stop that by having mine so easily identifiable. Well, the brass hogs didn't take it, but I discovered the neutral color allows these cases to mirror the color of grass and whatever dirt is around them. This makes them nearly invisible in the grass. So, I wound up losing more of them per event than I did when the brass hogs were raiding them. I just couldn't find them.

“The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley, ”

Robert Burns.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02421 seconds with 8 queries