View Single Post
Old September 14, 2010, 09:38 PM   #11
noylj

I am basing what I write on all 3 of my Pro Auto-Disks.
All my Auto-Disks use the spring to cycle the measure, not that stupid chain. The chain creates a jerky action and I never use it. I also never use the actuator rod on my Dillon measures (rather, I use the two springs, as God meant for the measure).
I can not bring the Auto-Disks to the full forward position (so the charge hole mates up with the drop tube) without flaring the case.
In fact, my main complaint, if I had one, is that many times I would like more flare than get—at which point, I install an expander die at station 3.
If your Auto-Disk moves all the forward without the case hitting the flare/bell part of the expander/powder funnel, then you can rather easily load jacketed bullets with no flare and no crimp required.
I have never been able to do this, nor have I ever loaded jacketed bullets to even consider not flaring my cases.
Thus, with or without the Auto-Disk installed (meaning the powder funnel nut is attached), I almost always have the die either just touching the shellplate or no more than 1/2 turn off the shellplate.
My first impression from the OM was that the poster was either doing something wrong or being overly concerned about a slight over-belling of the case.
The important thing to do is load a couple of dummy rounds (no powder or primer) to verify that the die positions produce rounds that fit the magazine and cycle and chamber in the gun, and then, using a kinetic bullet puller, break one or two of the dummy rounds down to determine if the bullet has been swaged down or damaged during the bullet seating and crimping operations.
Do not get hung up on minutia until you have determined that all the basics are correct and there is actually something to be concerned about.

Page generated in 0.02780 seconds with 8 queries