View Single Post
Old April 14, 2022, 10:20 PM   #16
ThomasT

Quote:
I almost always shoot 240gn bullets through it. Now I haven't shot it a lot but I really struggle with its accuracy - or lack thereof. I have a 4x (I think) scope on it. At 50 yards (off a bench rest), it's real accurate at first - until it warms up. When it gets hot, I can't even keep the bullets on paper - seriously. It's awful.
How many shots are you firing at a time? The bigger bore Marlins are known for changing POI as the barrel heats up. If you own several Marlins in different calibers measure the outside barrel diameter. You will find all the round barrel guns from 30-30 to 45-70 all have the same outside diameter to the barrel. I guess Marlin used one size barrel blank. They just drilled different size holes in them.

My 30-30s can be shot quite a few times without the POI changing much. But with my 44 mags about 4 shots is all I get. shot number 5 will usually leave the group a little. Or a lot.

I never made this connection until I read about it in a magazine article. I suspect the guns with the octagonal barrels don't have this problem. They have a little more meat on the barrel. Also try loosening off the front barrel band. If tight it can cause funny stresses when the barrel expands from heat and is pushing against the magazine tube. Another reason I like half magazine tubes.

I have read that some will remove the mag tube and test fire the guns by single loading to see if the magazine is casing accuracy issues. Since you are reloading try backing off the charge some too. And I know it sounds silly but make sure your barrel is really clean. Use a good copper remover. Not just Hoppe's or something like that. I really like Barnes CR-10 copper remover myself.

Last edited by ThomasT; April 14, 2022 at 10:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.02436 seconds with 8 queries