View Single Post
Old May 27, 2012, 03:09 PM   #12
prof marvel

Heavens to Murgatroid!

My Good Viper -

Your are a remarkably argumentative and seemingly hostile person.

You come onto this BP forum, with 19 posts in the last 11 years (Not a critique, merely an observation, I myself have few posts here) and ask for help about where you can film commercially.

Fristly I hope you understand that you are requesting what in my world is considered "expert consulting" for your commercial (ie you are making money) endevour, (even if that expertise is only knowing what events are occurring where). Elsewhere, that is done "for hire".

I am sure you realize that you could have obtained this information in a relatively short time by researching the topics yourself. Instead of doing this yourself you chose the entirely acceptable method of asking experts. That in my world is called "Consulting" .

Sometimes experts will gladly offer a few snips of advise for free, at other times they will demurr - for example just ask a Doctor at a party to diagnose your arm pain.

You sir, entered our "open party" and asked for such advise.
No offense intended, just a factual observation.

If some in the party wish to open a dialogue instead (and waste your valuable time) I suggest that you not take offense.

----------
Secondly on other forums where I am rather active we get regular queries from commercial film companies for a wide variety of "odd requests" ie:

- "we are filming a news segment and need xxx by the end of the day"
- "we are filming a TV commercial and need xxx and we don't know what we are doing and we need everything"
- "we need unpaid extras, supplying their own gear"
- "we are making a documentary about xxx historic period and need footage and can pay but not much"
- "we are a minor independant motion picture company and are hiring"
- "we are a major motion picture company and will be having a cattle call"

Many times little or no further information is provided.

- " we are filming xxx and need experts in field regarding yyy" - this sort of request has ranged from how to load a ML, to Field Tactics of a given period, to steam engine expertise.

The last (steam engine expertise) was rather amusing, as it came from the new director of a State Historic Farm who found themselves the proud owner of quite a lot of Steam Farm equipment. THe Director wanted to hold a large public event, run the equipment , and have it filmed.

When informed of all the complexity involved, the requirement a Licensed State Certified Live Steam Engineer, the requirement of Safety Inspections and Certifications for the Steam Equipment and the insurance required, The Director decided a static display would have to suffice.

-------------
Thirdly, based on such experiences I politely expressed what I still feel are my valid objections and concerns, and offered my experiences in order to demonstrate why I had such concerns.

I still believe I did so in a polite manner.

You, Sir, did not explain your effort in any detail, (please do take the time to re-read your originial missive).

You did leave much to conjecture and assumption. You then ranted about my jumping to conclusions and making various rash assumptions. Yet, Without any details one is left to flounder about and one is in fact left to conjecture and assumptions.

You actually wrote, regarding the timeframe:
>So #1, if you have such a critical fact wrong, what else do you have wrong?

And yet you did not provide detailed facts, in fact you provided very little detail at all, which naturally must lead to conjecture. Your "July 4 segment"
could be aired anytime in the next 20 years for all we know, and yet I believe that I can make the case that it is a perfectly valid assumption that you might wish to air on (or by ) July 4 of this year... :-)

Please Do not attack the Reader for making assumptions when You, the Writer, have left the reader in a vacuum.

Fourthly - In your reply (which I am taking as a rant) you do finally allude to some of your self-proclaimed but as yet unsubstantiated industry expertise, nowhere in the posts have you ever actually offered any proper Credentials. This does not speak well of one who claims to be a Film Professional. For all we know you are just another Troll ...

And then you ignore the stated concerns and only reply with diversion and further attacks. That is much more akin to a "used car salesman".

Now, had you come politely, offering bona-fides and details, like a true professional, things might have gone differently.
----------------

It appears I did make assumptions which you have tried to correct;
but while attempting to defend and explain your experience in your part of the industry (which is clearly larger than my ken (note - archaic expression) you did so in a hostile, agressive backlash to an attack I do not believe I made.

On these forums we gather to discuss BP stuff for fun, rather provide Marketeers or the Film Industy with free services.

It is possible a gross misunderstanding has occurred.

And yet, you never once actually addressed my concerns about how you
would assure people that your finished product would not misrepresent them.
I still have that question!

If you wish to continue a discussion in a civil manner I am open to it.

If you wish to rant or only use these forums for your own commercial purposes, well, Karma happens.

I am however, glad for your sake that you seem to have been able to obtain what you were seeking.

Again, good luck on your endevour
yhs
prof marvel

Last edited by prof marvel; May 27, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.03937 seconds with 8 queries