View Single Post
Old March 2, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1
pinetree

Only One Guage? Sanity Check.

I have a 12g semi and a cheap 20g OU. The 12g is 14 years old and has been my primary gun for quail, dove, ducks, geese, trap, five-stand and sporting clays. Goose and duck hunting are hard on guns. The 20g is used sometimes in the dove field.

This past week, I went quail hunting and the old Beretta was having a lot of failures to fire - I was using cheap Remingtons. The guide thought I had a broken firing pin. So I used a Browning Citori White Lightning 20g - it was awesome. Once home I took the bolt apart. Everything was fine, just dirty. I had put a case of 3" and half a case of 2.75" through it in Canada and though I have cleaned it, I didn't do a deep clean.

Anyway, I just sold a couple ounces of gold and want a Beretta 686. I am torn 20 or 12. The 12 semi - pelts my buddies in 5 stand and trap. The 20g would put me at a disadvantage with clays. But boy the 20g was light in the field.

I am leaning towards a 12g. Retire the semi to ducks and geese (OU could be back-up) and use the OU for clays and upland.

My cheap 20g does fine in the dove field but I will probably sell it and go 12g only.

My usage:
clays - 12 times a year (more this year as Verizon retired me and I am out of work)
geese and ducks - 4 days a year
dove - 5 days a year
upland - 5 days a year

Sound like a good plan?

tjg

Page generated in 0.02089 seconds with 8 queries